2002 Mar 05 15:40

Merging data

Is there any linux utility for taking two files and merging columns from
each,
keying off the name field, a la a join in SQL

File 1 has columns:

Name    address

File 2 has columns:

Name    URL

I want to do something analogous to:

select file1.name, address, URL
from file1, file2
where file1.name = file2.name (outer)

(outer meaning I want all the rows in file1 and only the rows that match in
file2)

I think sort made do something like this but I'm stymied

Jay