2002 Feb 28 23:37

Re: [vox-tech] How slim can Win98 go?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 04:32:52PM -0800, Ryan wrote:

> I was poking around the net looking for a way to set my laptop's contrast,
> and I found http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~fst/linux_armada_e500.html .
> It says that power saving hotkey works in linux, so I could set my cpu to 250
> and run for nearly 3 hours.
>
> However --- these options need to be set in windows, the bios doesn't have
> the options in it's menu. :(

Is your laptop recent. You may be able to set these options using
ACPI. Support in Linux is fairly recent. The recent Sony VAIO laptops have
moved much of their functionality over to ACPI. ACPI is going to allow for
some really cool stuff, not just on laptops. It allows the kernel to take
control of hardware. I have heard of other mfg's doing the same as well.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/

brian
--
Brian Lavender