2002 Feb 27 09:34

[vox-tech] gcc question

hi everyone,

       -funroll-loops
              Perform the optimization of loop  unrolling.   This
              is  only  done for loops whose number of iterations
              can be determined at compile time or run time.

       -funroll-all-loops
              Perform the optimization of loop  unrolling.   This
              is done for all loops.  This usually makes programs
              run more slowly.

ok, -funroll-all-loops usually makes programs run more slowly.  it also
clearly makes the executable larger.

so what exactly are we optimizing here?

pete