2002 Feb 20 07:27

Re: [vox-tech] Clock drift bad, HULK SMASH!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 11:02:52PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> Um, anyhow, anyone know what I can do about clock drift? NTP is not an option
> sadly,

Why?  Never connect to the net?

> and I'd prefer to fix the drift rather then repetedly correct it. I

NTP models the drift when you run it long enough, and adjusts the kernels
idea of a second gradually over time.  This insures cron jobs
don't get skipped becuase you changed 1:59:59 to 2:00:01 in a step.

If configured correctly ntp will write the drift to /etc/ntp/drift or
similar so if can pick up where it left off.

> know there's adjtimex, by I have no idea what how to use it....
>
> My drift is pretty bad, about a second or two per hour

What's wrong with NTP?

> --
> No Microsoft products were used in any way for the creation of this message.
> PGP Public key at http://mother.com/~ryan/ryan_at_mother_dot_com.asc
> It is also on the servers: Key ID 0x72177BC7

Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics
UC Davis