2002 Feb 18 12:59

[vox-tech] module loading at suse kernel initialization and usb woes

[vox-tech] module loading at suse kernel initialization and usb woes

hey erik,

yeah.  not crazy.  in fact, i learned quite a bit about usb at the
installfest.  pretty amazing we had this conversation the day before i
got to see it in action.  :)

the deal is that the device itself isn't recognized as "scsi".  the scsi
system doesn't register the device, usb does.  however, the scsi system
provides the transport layer between the kernel and usb.  so a usb hard
drive is registered by usb-storage.o but is accessed with scsi-ide (i
think i'm remembering this correctly).  so the drive is supposed to be
accessed via /dev/sd*.  we didn't get his drive working, but that's
because usb didn't recognize the device.  i think if we upgraded his
kernel, we could've gotten it to work.

oh -- question about suse.

i wanted the guy's usb-storage module to load on boot.  on most systems
i've seen, /etc/modules contains a lis of modules that are to be loaded
at boot time.

i've seen this on debian, LRP, LEAF and i think redhat.  i tried this
under suse (suse didn't have an /etc/modules so i created one).
however, my /etc/modules was ignored by suse.

so i'd like to know -- under suse, if you want a module to be loaded
when the kernel first boots, how do you do it?

pete

begin Erik Mullinix <Hesp@rainworks.org>
> Cool Im not a complete nutcase.
>
> Well Not complete.
> Dangit.. I missed Sundays IF. witch was on calander.
>
> oki back to complete nutcase.
>
> Hesp

Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberty..repealing ICBM treaty..deficit..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?