2002 Feb 17 22:27

Re: [vox-tech] postgresql -> mysql?

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Henry House wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:23:57PM -0800, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> > [...]
> > > mysql->postgresql :)
> >
> > There is a mysql-to-postgresql script in the contrib/mysql directory in the
> > postgresql source distribution.
> >

> Perhaps my message wasn't clear enough. I need to go from a postgresql dump to
> a mysql-nice format, so I can add the data to a mysql database.
>
> I already found a bunch of mysql->postgresql converters, but that does me
> little good.

As someone who has NOT attempted such a conversion, I just want to point
out that PostgreSQL has special data type support and various features
related to relational integrity that MySQL does not have, so this would be
like running modern perl code on a Perl 4 interpreter... if the job is
simple, it might work, but if you have been solving real world problems
with it then it might be rather difficult.

The obvious thing is to scan through looking for data elements
(inserts) and extract them as you need them... presumably with perl :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing