2002 Feb 14 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] SIG11 Problems and hardware suggestions

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 04:33:34PM -0800, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> I am just tearing out my hair over SIG11 (seg fault) problems with a one of my
> linux boxes.  After stumbling around in some FAQ's, and some postings in
> various newsgroups, I have discovered that these problems have more to do with
> the hardware than the os or software (caching, memory, speed settings, etc).  I
> have discovered that not only are these problems _extremely_ annoying, but
> rather tough (for me) to solve, due to the sheer number of causes.
 [snip]
> Currently, my problem box is a AMD K6-2 with a 256 MB of memory (PC100, one
> stick of Viking, and one stick of kingston), a TYAN MOBO, and a Maxtor HD.  I
> suspect it's the memory, but I haven't nailed it down yet.

Have you tried Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com)? It's a very good
memory tester for x86 machines.  I've found more than one bad stick of
memory using it.

--
Samuel Merritt
PGP key is at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~merritt/snmerritt.asc