January 6: Social gathering
2002 Feb 12 09:03

Re: [vox-tech] packet sniffer help

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:00:42PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [...]
> > can someone suggest a packet sniffer?  i'm looking more for ease of use
> > than exotic functionality.   i'd appreciate input from anyone who has an
> > opinion on a good sniffer.  (note: i don't use/know the advanced net
> > logging stuff from 2.4 kernels.  until summer rolls around, i don't want
> > to learn it either).
>
> I have yet to exaust the capabilities of tcpdump in my (limited) useage, but
> a search on packages.debian.org turned up:
>
> >                           Package: karpski
>
> If that does not do the trick, see the full list of sniffers in Debian:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=sniffer&searchon=all&subword=1&version=unstable&release=all

woe is me.

why oh why is it when i ask for a _recommendation_ some joker always
manages to say "I DID A SEARCH AND HERE IS WHAT I FOUND".

yes, i know how to do a search, thank you.  you point and you click.
when i say "recommendation", i'm looking for your EXPERIENCE.  not a big
stupid list.

henry, you really need to read my posts more carefully!

pete