2002 Feb 12 08:26

Re: [vox-tech] packet sniffer help

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:00:42PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[...]
> can someone suggest a packet sniffer?  i'm looking more for ease of use
> than exotic functionality.   i'd appreciate input from anyone who has an
> opinion on a good sniffer.  (note: i don't use/know the advanced net
> logging stuff from 2.4 kernels.  until summer rolls around, i don't want
> to learn it either).

I have yet to exaust the capabilities of tcpdump in my (limited) useage, but
a search on packages.debian.org turned up:

>                           Package: karpski
>0.101-10
>
>ethernet analyzer and sniffer
>
>	This is a GTK based packet analyzer. Its abilities as a sniffer or scanner
>are limited, but this sniffer is much easier to use than other popular
>sniffers such as tcpdump. In addition, there is a protocol definition file in
>which other protocols can be added.
>
>	Karpski may also be used to launch programs against addresses on your
>local network and as a local network intrusion tool.
>
>   For more information: http://mojo.calyx.net/~btx/karpski.html

If that does not do the trick, see the full list of sniffers in Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=sniffer&searchon=all&subword=1&version=unstable&release=all

--
Henry House