2002 Feb 11 22:39

[vox-tech] tcpdump help was: packet sniffer help

[vox-tech] tcpdump help was: packet sniffer help

joel, i'm having trouble with tcpdump.  can you clear something up for
me?   suppose i wanted to look at two (destination) ports at the same
time.  this doesn't work:

	tcpdump -i eth0 dst port 25906 && dst port 27950

i think the shell is trying to interpret the &&.

   satan# tcpdump -i eth0 dst port 25906 && dst port 27950
   tcpdump: listening on eth0
   <ctrl-c>
   0 packets received by filter
   0 packets dropped by kernel
   bash: dst: command not found

i replaced && with "and".  i added a "--".  tried quoting the whole
argument with ''.  nothing seems to be working.  how does one go about
"anding" conditions with tcpdump?

also, is there a way to look at the packet payload?  i'm not much
interested in the raw packet themselves.   any way to peek at the
contents using tcpdump?

pete

begin Joel Baumert <kender@geeksource.net>