2002 Feb 10 09:03

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with a motherboard.

Rod Roark wrote:

> On Sunday 10 February 2002 07:07 am, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> > ... The problem I am getting is the computer freezes up
> > on boot generally after it shows the plug and play specs to the
> > screen....
>
> I assume this means it's inconsistent.  There's no pat answer.
> It could be any of:
>
> - Bad CPU
> - Bad motherboard
> - Loose cable or addon card

checked

> - Bad hard drive

Tried booting from CD same problems.

> - CPU fan worn out

Good working condition.

> - Heatsink not properly installed

Very good job done by the installer on this one.  Whoever it was
(Diamond decal on front).

> - Bad hard disk
> - Incorrect motherboard settings (BIOS or jumpers)

Auto detect type BIOS, I have tried several manual settings.

> - Malfunctioning addon card (video, modem, etc.)

None.

> - Anything else
>
> The usual approach is to remove everything not needed for bootup,
> and then swap stuff out till it works.

I am A+ certified, so I have experience in what to check, I was just
hoping I was missing something.  I am just at the point of giving up
besides saying replace the motherboard and CPU.  Of course I like fixing
things and do not like giving up.

Thanks,
Stephen