l i n u x - u s e r s - g r o u p - o f - d a v i s
L U G O D
 
Next Meeting:
November 4: Social gathering
Next Installfest:
TBD
Latest News:
Oct. 24: LUGOD election season has begun!
Page last updated:
2002 Feb 06 16:26

The following is an archive of a post made to our 'vox-tech mailing list' by one of its subscribers.

Report this post as spam:

(Enter your email address)
Re: [vox-tech] Re: What anti-spam techniques do you use?
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [vox-tech] Re: What anti-spam techniques do you use?



begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> 
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:51:48AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > there's not much you can do once the mail is delivered to your mailbox.
> 
> I disagree.

i will repeat myself.
 
once an email gets delivered to your mailbox, henry, you are relegated to:

1. passive methods like filtering
2. retroactive methods like spamcop or richochet

my entire email (which i gather you didn't read, otherwise you wouldn't
have taken it out of context so poorly) was based on the premise that we
would like proactive methods.  meaning, not even giving the spammer the
opportunity to connect with your smtp server in the first place.  i
thought i made this very clear in my email.

i went on to say that once the email gets delivered you can filter it.
you can even complain using hand methods, spamcop or ricochet.  and
that's fine.  but as far as the spammer is concerned, he was successful
in delivering the email, whether you react to it or not.  they usually
don't even care about complaints because they have so many other options
for delivering their payload.

nobody is arguing that there are ways to combat spam after the spam gets
delivered.  however, the best option (and the one my email was
addressing) is to create a little black hole for spammers on your part
of the internet.  in other words, making your site "disappear" to
spammers.  this is what i call "proactive spam control".  if everybody
did this, the only people spammers can spam is themselves.  and what a
wonderful world this would be if that happened.

peter

-- 
Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberties..cancelling ICBM treaties..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?

PGP Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D
_______________________________________________
vox-tech mailing list
vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
http://lists.lugod.org/mailman/listinfo/vox-tech



LinkedIn
LUGOD Group on LinkedIn
Sign up for LUGOD event announcements
Your email address:
facebook
LUGOD Group on Facebook
'Like' LUGOD on Facebook:

Hosting provided by:
Sunset Systems
Sunset Systems offers preconfigured Linux systems, remote system administration and custom software development.

LUGOD: Linux Users' Group of Davis
PO Box 2082, Davis, CA 95617
Contact Us

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
based in Davis, California
and serving the Sacramento area.
"Linux" is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.

Sponsored in part by:
EDGE Tech Corp.
For donating some give-aways for our meetings.