2002 Feb 06 14:33

Re: [vox-tech] Re: What anti-spam techniques do you use?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:51:48AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> there's not much you can do once the mail is delivered to your mailbox.

I disagree.

[...]
> begin John C. Alden <jcalden@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> >
> > My DCN address is getting pummeled more & more with spam. Now it's
> > about 75% of all the mail I receive. Don't know where they're getting
> > it, but I'm getting TIRED of it, (those steenkin' bastards).
> >
> > What techniques and/or tools do you use for spammers not using a major
> > service (aohell, earthlink, msn) that has an abuse@ address?

John: I have been extremely happy with spamassassin (http://spamassassin.org/),
which is a perl script that uses several heuristics to identify spam. It has
been about 99% acurate for me without any tuning! I invoke spamassassin via
procmail, using the following recipe:

	# Run incoming messages through SpamAssassin
	:0fw
	| spamassassin -P

	:0e
	{
		EXITCODE=$?
	}

	:0:
	Junk/SPAMASSASSIN/

I will post my full .procmailrc upon request.

--
Henry House