2002 Feb 06 14:09

Re: [vox-tech] x-windows problem?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:34:44PM -0800, kaiharris@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> I'm having problems logging into my computer.  I shut it down to install
> more RAM and then rebooted.  Comp boots all the way to the text login, but
> I dont have a chance to loging here because it is set to log straight into
> x-windows first and then give a graphical login window. when it tries to
> boot into x-windows, nothing shows up on the monitor.  The monitor seems
> as though it is turning on and off...or trying to switch resolutions.

Probably X is configured for a mode that your video hardware does not
support.

> When I ctrl-alt-del to restart, the boot-down procedure couldn't shutdown
> the x-font system.  the error message read:
> shutting down x-font system       [failed]
> so, I shutdown and took out the RAM I had just installed and booted back
> up.  The same thing happened again.

This problem has nothing to do with the RAM. You (or someone, or some
process) modified the X server configuration

> Apart from the obvious issue of how can I boot back into KDE, I'm not sure
> how to stop the boot procedure from trying to load x-windows on startup.
> Then at least i could log onto the computer.

Type 'single' at the boot loader's command line. For example, if you use lilo
and your default kernel is called 'Linux', type 'Linux single' at the lilo
prompt.

> I know this probably sounds very vague, but I dont know what more
> information I can give.  does anybody have any idea what might be going
> on?  I would prefer not to have to reinstall!

I doubt a reinstall is necessary. Could you please tell us:

* What distribution and version?
* What other modifications you made to your computer recently?

--
Henry House