2002 Feb 02 21:39

Re: [vox-tech] reading files into a web page

Re: [vox-tech] reading files into a web page

SSI can do that, like this:

   <pre>
      <!--#include virtual="/www/pcgm/bulletins" -->
   </pre>

I *think* that's the right syntax.  It's been eons since I've used SSI.
Depending on the host, you may need to name your file with a special
extension, like ".phtml" or something.  Of course, the server needs to
support SSI.

Better way would be with PHP:

   <pre>
      <?php
         $fp = fopen("/www/pcgm/bulletins", "r");
         fpassthru($fp);
      ?>
   </pre>

You'll most likely need to name the file with a special extension like
".php3" or ".php".  Of course, the server needs to support PHP for this to
work.

-Mark

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> suppose i have a web page http://www.dirac.org/pcgm/bulletinboard:
>

> <HTML>
> <HEAD><TITLE>Bulletin Board</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>

> and i'd like to put the contents of some file in the body, formatted as
> verbatim text (say, between pre tags).  i'd like to do something like:
>

> <HTML>
> <HEAD><TITLE>Bulletin Board</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <PRE>
> `cat /www/pcgm/bulletins`
> </PRE>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>
> how can i do this?  i *think* php can do this, but i don't know a lick
> of php.  can someone give me explicit instructions on how to do this
> sort of thing?
>
> if it makes a difference, i'm putting a form on the same page that adds
> text to /www/pcgm/bulletins.
>
> pete
>
> --
> The mathematics [of physics] has become ever more abstract, rather than more
> complicated.  The mind of God appears to be abstract but not complicated.
> He also appears to like group theory.  --  Tony Zee's `Fearful Symmetry'
>
> PGP Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.