2002 Jan 23 16:46

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

> > Remarkable!  You mean the machines when configured as dhcp clients will
> > silently fail when unable to contact a server, assigning themselves a
> > random IP address?
>
> Yes.  If I recall correctly, this network was originally owned by HP... I
> don't know how MS and HP were interrelated on this research, but that
> network is now owned by IETF.

Yes.  The network range in question was originally allocated to HP.  Somehow, Microsoft ended up with the range after HP gave it up.  In Windows 98 and WIndows NT (Where this first appeared) If you get an IP Address in that range, it means no contact with the DHCP server (generally HW issue, occassionally a driver issue).  I remember spending a day trying to figure out where the hell that ip address was coming from when it was a connectivity issue all along.

Also, in many cases, ipconfig /release will not completely release it, you must release then reboot to assure readiness to get an IP address from DHCP.

The original idea is claimed to be ease of use for end users (home users) in that setting up mulitple systems at home and they will be able to 'talk' to each other as they will be in the same IP network.

-sp