2002 Jan 22 13:22

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:24:47AM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
[...]
> > They are currently having internet trouble and the wireless computers cannot
> > connect to the internet, but the wired one can. The router reports that it
> > is supposed to give out (by DHCP) IP addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24 range,
> > but after I released and renewed the DHCP lease for one of the wireless
> > computers, it reported that it had been assigned the IP address
> > 169.254.183.13 (which obviously means that the router in question didn't
> > assign the DHCP lease). The wired computer recieved the IP address
> > 192.168.1.100, and its internet works correctly.
>
> The 169.254.0.0/16 network has been proposed for use in automatic
> configuration in the absence of a DHCP server. I am not aware if this is
> an actual sanctioned use, but it apparently has become de-facto use by the
> presence of implementations such as Microsoft Networking.

Oh my...the nasty implications of this are staggering.

Since the trouble seems to lie with DHCP, could you try setting up dhcpd on a
Linux box and see what appears in the logs? (Actually, it is a good idea to
run the dhcpd and routing using a Linux or BSD machine even if you have a
nifty router appliance. Easier to de-bug and more secure in average use. I
wouldn't trust any router appliance that is within my price range ;-) .)

--
Henry House