2002 Jan 30 09:48

[vox-tech] Xwindows problem

I have been trying to get X configured for several days, and I can't get
through this problem.

I am using xfree86 3.3.6, redhat 6.2, w/ a chips & technologies ct69000,
which I believe uses some type of frame buffer.  When I run XConfigurator, it
recognizes the ct69000 fine.  When I enter my monitor type, and it tests
itself, the screen doesn't come up, and it says something about a problem w/
the configuration, and backs up.  But, it I enter a custom monitor, w/ some
conservative values it does come up OK, and I can finish Xconfigurator.

Then I do startx > foo 2>&1

It comes into X, and brings up a few apps.  But, the resolution looks like
640x480, or less.  It looks like I am just seeing the upper left corner of
the screen, and can't get to the icons and task bar down at the bottom.  My
log file says I am at 1024x768, but, NOT!

Note, I am using an embedded board we had built for a project.  But I had the
same board runnig fine w/ RedHat 7.2, so I don't think there is a hardware
problem.  I downloaded the latest source for xfree86 and built it.

Should I go to version 4xxx?  Is that a lot of trouble?  I don't want to,
because we are developing an embedded product, and the older X is probably
smaller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.