2002 Jan 17 17:05

Re: [vox-tech] Network Configuration

begin Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>

why not just look at /var/log/messages[1]?  the kernel "ring buffer" is a
ring.  it can wrap around, especially if useless messages like "can't
find module NLS23423" get logged constantly.

dmesg is a VERY valuable tool.  but just like a saw and hammer, it's
only useful if you know what it is and how to use it.  i think you
should look at man dmesg; you probably have the wrong idea about what it
does.

if you want to know which ethernet *module* got loaded, do lsmod.  if
the ethernet card is compiled directly into the kernel, you can go go
poking around in the symbol table, but the easiest thing to do is to
just look at /var/log/messages.

if you just want to know if the ethernet module is doing its job, just
do ifconfig.  it's nearly impossible for a module to load and not detect
teh hardware correctly.  i've seen it happen, but boy is it rare.

pete

[1] use this.  it'll find the last occurance of 'eth0':

# vi /var/log/messages
? eth0

keep pressing n till you get to what you're looking for.