2002 Jan 17 12:33

Re: [vox-tech] Network Configuration

/////////////// ORIGINAL MESSAGE /////////////////
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:47:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Network Configuration
>
> Another thing you can try (if you want) is this:
>
> # dmesg | grep eth
> If you just see another:
> #
> Then that suggests no eth interfaces were found by the starting
> kernel. (What I expect you would see.)

I just noticed that on my system Mandrake 8.1, with the following ethernet card
(reported by lspci):

02:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink] (rev 78)

running dmesg | grep eth doesn't list any results, despite the fact that I (at this moment) am
using that ethernet card from Linux, successfully, to post this response. What does it mean
that my card doesn't show up but that it still works?