2002 Jan 16 16:03

Re: [vox-tech] Questions about building my own box

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:17:19PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'm thinking about building a new box, unfortunately I don't know anything
> about hardware

How unreasonable ppl are these days.
Kids say the same thing. The difference btwn kids and this guy is
kids don't know the fact that they are idiot, and this guy at least know
that he does not know anything.

And this guy is using wintel + outlook.
For this kind of person, the only convinsing factors are
1. bigger is better.
2. faster is better.
Go to fry's or compusa or wherever and ask the sales person.
They tell you the same.

> I'm using www.spartantech.com (because they're out where I live), my first

Does this line implies that you expect ppl on the mailing list to visit
aforementioned uri, browse their products, and configure the system for
you? Or was he hired by that company, and send this kind of ads to the
mailing lists?

> choice it the chip:

Sure you should stick w/ wintel + rambus.

> I have to choose:
> socket 423 vs 478

Bigger is better. Naturally the answer would be 478.

> bus speed 256 vs 512

Wider is better. Naturally the answer would be 512.

> chip speed - I know what this is.

Make sure to get the fastest one.

> Is the 423 an older style than the 478? the 478 is less expensive, is that
> good?
> bus speed, how will that impact the system, is it worth the price? It seems
> I have have to buy the fastest chip in order to get the bigger bus (maybe it
> just doesn't make sense with a slower chip?)

Newer ones are a bit more expensive in general, but you should get new stuffs.
Get the latest ones. They're faster and better.

> Jay

Hi Jay,
so you're going to install xp on it, aren't you?

Takashi Ishihara                 http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ishihara
;; The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it
;; as such without a single doubt.                (Rene Descartes, 1637)