2002 Jan 15 18:53

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

I have a triple-boot system at home--WinMe, Win2K and RH-7.2. I give each
OS its own partition (the RH installation has its own harddrive in fact).
That seems to allow each OS to play nicely with each other. I even make
the Win2K partition be NTFS so that the WinME OS won't bother it.

On 14 Jan 2002 speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> On Mon, 14 January 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>

> > begin jwkaralius@ucdavis.edu <jwkaralius@ucdavis.edu>
> > > I do have two large HDD (40G for win98 and 30G for RH7.2) and thought that
> > > would suffice to keep the two lovebirds away from each other, but I'll try
> > > the fdisk /mbr and boot linux with a floppy instead of grub.
> >
> > i *highly* recommend against that route.  i'm trying to think of any
> > linux guru or guru in training among us who has, at some point or
> > another, said that if you must have a dual boot, keep the OS's on
> > different hard drives.  i remember jeff saying this.  i think i remember
> > steve peck saying this.  i've certainly said this.
> >
> > you've got two big hard drives.  what's the problem?
>

> Not me.  I setup 20 servers dual-booting between win2k and red-hat for
> a group to do performance testing (No I do not have the results, I was
> just hired to setup the OS'es).  I used lilo and multiple partitions
> on the hard drive.  The group used that setup for at least 6 months.
> (tho, this was server class hardware)
>
> For personal use, I run with seperate systems and a kvm switchbox.
> slightly older hw on the linux box.
>
> -sp

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net