2002 Jan 14 16:29

Re: [vox-tech] totally confused about C promotion

Re: [vox-tech] totally confused about C promotion

I'll take a shot at this.  The prototype for sqrt is:

double sqrt(double x);

and for printf is:

int printf(const char *format, ...);

The problem is the "..." makes it so any type can follow.  The
specification has specific rules about what is promoted and what
isn't.  From what I remember, shorts -> ints and floats go to
doubles.

In your example program your format specifier is telling the
compiler to accept a long double, but you are only passing it
a double which is fixed by your cast.  For most compilers it
would be your problem to figure out what is wrong, but I think
that gcc is smart about printf and should throw a warning when
you have a type mismatch between the format specifier and the
parameter.  Are you compiling with -Wall?

Joel