2002 Jan 14 16:39

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

On Mon, 14 January 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin jwkaralius@ucdavis.edu <jwkaralius@ucdavis.edu>
> > I do have two large HDD (40G for win98 and 30G for RH7.2) and thought that
> > would suffice to keep the two lovebirds away from each other, but I'll try
> > the fdisk /mbr and boot linux with a floppy instead of grub.
>
> i *highly* recommend against that route.  i'm trying to think of any
> linux guru or guru in training among us who has, at some point or
> another, said that if you must have a dual boot, keep the OS's on
> different hard drives.  i remember jeff saying this.  i think i remember
> steve peck saying this.  i've certainly said this.
>
> you've got two big hard drives.  what's the problem?

Not me.  I setup 20 servers dual-booting between win2k and red-hat for a group to do performance testing (No I do not have the results, I was just hired to setup the OS'es).  I used lilo and multiple partitions on the hard drive.  The group used that setup for at least 6 months.  (tho, this was server class hardware)

For personal use, I run with seperate systems and a kvm switchbox.  slightly older hw on the linux box.

-sp