2002 Jan 13 23:24

Re: [vox-tech] Easy Remote X Termnial?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Ryan wrote:

> He likes to play flash and javascript games, and I was concerned that the
> pentium 120 would make that unplesent, but It probaly wouldn't be too much
> better over ethernet, I've used VNC over ethernet before, and it's a bit of a
> pain, but perhaps that's just an issue with VNC.

It's tough to judge. It's not only a problem with bandwidth, but largely
latency.
I would think that the p120 would be better off handling moving gfx on it's
own, specially if you can drop some ram and a half-decent video card on it.

> I was thinking of just seting up debian or some othe distro with a thin
> installer and not letting him have root ( at least not at first )

That, would have been my first choice, unless of course you want to boot
completely off the network, in which case you'd have a nice quiet pc.

> I also need a way to log his internet use, I've already got squid installed
> on my gateway, can it be setup to log URLs?

I believe so. You might even go as far as firewalling him on the fly, maybe
using a perl script to cross reference the url with a list of 'bad' words
(xxx, naked, etc) from the URL, and adding a rule to iptables/ipchains.

-Gabe