2002 Jan 12 21:50

Re: [vox-tech] (no subject)

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 03:21:17PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> What is that `winmail.dat` attachment?

It is added by certain Microsoft mail software automatically. It usually does
nothing but waste space and bandwidth. If the message has any real
attachments, they are encoded inside the winmail.dat amy may be extracted
using the handy program tnef.

> On Saturday, January 12 2002 12:21 pm, Eric C Moloy wrote:
> > Hello.  I am getting started with Red Hat 7.1 for the first time, and I am
> > having trouble connecting to the web.  The eth0 device fails to inititalize
> > at startup.  The following settings appear for the eth0 device:
> >
> > IP address -> entered correctly
> > netmask -> 255.255.255.0
> > network -> 169.237.204.0
> > broadcast -> 169.237.204.255
> >
> > after startup, I activate the eth0 device and try to connect.  I get an
> > unknown hosts error message.  The error message suggests that I may have to
> > set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point tot he appropriate name
> > server.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.

Welcome Eric. Here are some general suggestions to help you to get help:

* Add a descriptive subject to your message
* Copy and paste error messages exactly as they appear into your e-mail.

More specifically, we need the output of 'ifconfig', 'route -n', ifconfig
eth0', and the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to diagnose the problem.

--
Henry House