2002 Jan 13 19:40

Re: [vox-tech] newbie

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> my understanding is that the two signal pairs need to reverse, so they match
> up with the right pins on the other side. This is called a crossover cable.
>
> Most patch cables, as labeled by fry's/etc, are straight through connections.
>
> My advice would be to buy a cheap hub and make your life easier, since
> the hub will take regular cabling, and give you lots of blinking leds
> to tell you what's going on :)

If you really want to make your own:
http://mike.passwall.com/class/public/ethernet/10T.txt

1 and 3, 2 and 6. Why are 4 and 5 skipped? analog phones use center pairs,
and this allows for those to be used (backwards compatability thing with
rj45)

I second the suggestion for a hub. Useful for company who may bring
their laptops over, and if IP MASQ uis setup, you can all geek out on the
internet. If you decide to go with a 10/100 hub, then why not pay the
extra ~$100 and get a Wireless Accesspoint with 10/100 ports too, and you
can roam in house with WEP and stuff. :-)

When you consider hubs, getting one with an uplink port is a good idea for
later expansion. (The uplink port logically does the same as a patch cable
and switches the Tx and Rx lines to allow you to connect  hub to a hub.)

-ME