2002 Jan 12 16:23

Re: [vox-tech] dumb perl question

hi jim,

thanks for helping me out!

the string that i'm matching though is $_, not $temperature.  $_ holds a
filename, like "100.energy", and i'd like to extract the "100" from the
filename and put it in $temperature.

doesn't

	$temperature =~ s/(\d+).*/$1/;

assume that $temperature is the object holding "100.energy"?

note that i'm being greedy here -- this DOES work:

	/(\d+).*/;              # match "100" in $_
	$temperature = $+;      # put it in $temperature

i just want to do it in a single line.  :)   also, i'd like to do it
without destroying the contents of $_ if possible.

pete

begin Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com>