2002 Jan 07 22:50

Re: [vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

Re: [vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

>ok, so perhaps the boot sector on the linux partition is hosed.  what
>bootloader do you use?
>
> > And how would the MBR get messed up if I unchecked all
> > possibilities for loading LILO or GRUB when I ran the upgrade process?
>
>you keep saying "lilo or grub".  that's confusing me.  which one?

When I ran the upgrade, I was given this menu (imagine that it's rendered
on a pretty graphic screen):

+-------------------------------------+
| Boot Loader Configuration           |
|                                     |
| O Use GRUB as the boot loader       |
| O Use LILO as the boot loader       |
| O Do not install a boot loader      |
+-------------------------------------+

GRUB was selected by default.

The system also presented options as to where to put the boot loader: in
/dev/hda (MBR) or /dev/hda1.

Because I actually prefer to boot Linux from a boot diskette, I chose not
to install a boot loader at all.  When I selected "Do not install a boot
loader", the options for where to put the boot loader were both greyed out.

Does that help?

>how does your system boot?  is it lilo, grub, ntloader or none of the
>above?   need more info.

None of the above.  I had hoped to use a boot diskette.

>pete

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com

invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"