2002 Jan 05 03:39

Re: [vox-tech] underclocking

On Friday 04 January 2002 10:18 pm, Henry House wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a motherboard (preferably for a Pentium II)
> with an AGP slot that would be good for underclocking? I don't
> really care about performance, but it is essential that the CPU run
> without a fan (hence the need to underclock). It would be a big plus
> to have built-in ethernet and DIMM support rather than RIMMs.

My first thought is to run a 100 or 133 FSB-Mhz CPU (preferably .18
micron technology) at 66 Mhz.

The AOpen MX3S (http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/mx3s.htm) has on-board
NIC, VGA and sound and a micro-ATX form factor.  I could order one for
you.  There are various other choices but without the NIC.

The slowest P-III I can get with 133 Mhz FSB is an 800 (6x multiplier)
which you should be able to run at half speed.

You'd probably have to find a used board if you stick with the P-II.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/