2002 Jan 04 16:37

Re: [vox-tech] calling all dosemu users

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> did you use msdos or freedos?

A little of both.

> i'm asking because i'm trying to get the cdrom to work under dosemu with
> freedos.  the big problem is that i can't find mscdex.

Why? try lredir (I think) and map the mounted CD rom from LInux to be a
dos disk. :-) It can be done in autoexec.bat I thnk or you can change the
dosemu config files to map a linux dir to a drive letter= or even an
entire device (I think)

> a google search turned up something called fdcdex (presumably freedos
> cdrom driver), but that's not installed on my system either.
>
> i'm close to scrapping freedos, uninstalling the packaged dosemu, compiling
> dosemu from source and putting in msdos.
>
> any advice on getting the cdrom to work?

Yep, see above.

> also, according the dosemu howto, networking doesn't work under freedos.
> however, the howto hasn't been updated since 1997.  have any idea
> whether the status of networking has changed or not?

Well.... I have been able to start and join IPX/SPX games with DosEMU but
the loss of data was pretty high and as games progressed from DOSEMU the
net games would become less stable. I seem to recall setting up some
TCP/IP stuff using a DOS PPP system and some funky things with Linux, but
this could possibly just be a dream I had. It has been a while.

(May have used KA9Q or another PPP/IP like thing, but dont have them
anymore.)