2002 Jan 02 02:03

Re: [vox-tech] advice for floppy disks

I wrote a bash script to back up my floppies to a compressed file named
according to date. This has the advantage of being insensitive to format, and
not requiring the disk to be mounted.

- ----- Begin Script -----

#!/bin/bash
TIMESTAMP=$(date +%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S)
cat /dev/fd0 | gzip -9 > ~/backups/fd0.${TIMESTAMP}.img.gz

- ------ End Script ------

On Tuesday, January 01 2002 09:42 pm, kabloom@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> My biggest suggestion for floppies is that you should never carry them
> loose in your pocket. When I used floppies in high school (last year) I
> found that floppies carried loose in my pocket died within a day, and
> floppies in floppy carriers lasted long enough that I can't recall losing
> data from one of them.
>
> Two other good floppy tricks. One: if the data is really important, put
> multiple copies on the same disk. The other: always back the floppies up
> on a hard drive somewhere.
>
> And so it was written and so it was done (by Peter Jay Salzman
>
> > not for backup.  i need floppies.
> >

> > begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
> >
> > > What I do for fast, reliable, cheap backup is mount hard drives in
> > > removable carriers.
> > >
> > > -- Rod
> > >    http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

- --