Re: [vox-tech] what is mime?

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:43:34AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i think mime provides a logical division of an email based on content -- like
> an attachment or a gpg signature, and this allows mail clients to deal with
> the material in an appropriate manner.

Dead on.  Mime is two logically separate components, one is MIME encoding,
taking binary or unicode data and encoding it to ASCII.  The other is the
Multipart encapsulation of data.  (Yes, it is possible to use one without
the other.)

There are some other tidbits and extensions, but that's the heart of it.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/