Re: [vox-tech] debian X question

begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:14:59PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > ok, henry and bill -- thanks!   :)   on one hand, it sucks that there's no
> > "admin tool".  on the other hand, i think i like this way better because it's
> > hard remembering the name of all these admin tools that have popped up over
> > the years in various distros.  i like having to remember just one thing.
> > .xinitrc.   :)
> >
> > i'll check out kdm.  i assume it's for kde only and gdm is for gnome only and
> > xdm is for anything?
>
> Not really... KDM and GDM are pretty interchangable (although, as I said,
> KDM seems more configurable).  You can use KDM and GDM to log into
> E, FVWM, IceWM, whatever...
>
> It's just that they come with KDE and Gnome, respectively, and use
> Qt and GTK+, respectively.

ok, thanks bill!

> BTW, you're playing with the Demo box, eh?  Don't break it!  There's a
> demo Saturday!  Gimp and sound better still be working by then! :)
> *glare*
>
> ;)

i'm treating her as my own...  no, strike that.  i'm treating her as a lugod
demo box.  i've actually installed X...   ;)

pete

ps- gimp and sound already work.  any other requests?  i've already intalled
"the obvious".  and now that the drive is partitioned sanely, we have lots
and lots of room for goodies.

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org