Re: [vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH 7.2 !!

Re: [vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH 7.2 !!

Hi,

--- Geoffrey Herteg <gherteg@herteg.net> wrote:
> Sounds like there may not be ext3 support in the
> kernel you're trying to
> boot. Did the upgrade successfully run LILO/Grub
> before trying to install
> all the RPMs?

  Thanks for the reply.  I have chosen grub and
ext3 fs for both \ and \usr area.  I have forgotten
the mount point for \ but for \usr it is \dev\hda5.
After that it is installing all the packages and
prompted me for second disk.  When I put in the
second CD it said part or full file of tetex*.rpm
is corrupted press return to try again which did not
work and I could not even skip that file.  I rebooted
the machine.

> You may need to boot off of a rescue CD/floppy, get
> to a prompt and then
> mount your old root to something like /mnt.  Then
> delete the ext3
> journalling file, change the root entry in
> /etc/fstab to ext2 (instead of
> ext3) and reboot.
>
> Hope these suggestions help!
>
> -- G

I booted with RH7.2 disc again and went to rescue
mode.
Typed linux = root \dev\hda5 initrd=
which returned the message kernel panic scream!!
How to check whether now the file system is ext2 or
ext3.

I tried with my old RH 7.1 boot floppy which returns
the message Operating System not found.

thanks
viswanath