Re: [vox-tech] i've lost the ability to compile a kernel/Modem suggestio

Re: [vox-tech] i've lost the ability to compile a kernel/Modem suggestions?

On modems, go with external. I've used US Robotics
Sporters to good effect. Supra isn't bad either. There
is also a hardware firewall solution that does connect
modems as well as broad band type connections. SMC's
firewall has a serial port and modem dialing software
in flash ROM. I know cause I had to provide email
connectivity while a T1 was down. The device in it's
simplest form has a serial port (25 pin) and 10BaseT
socket for outside world connections and a four port
10/100BaseT switch for inside connections. You control
and program it with a web browser connecting through
one of the inside connections. Of course if you want
to be a real cool Linux user, you go the software
route (It's cheaper, too). I'm a hardware geek and use
it for speed of set up. The learning curve is not as
steep. All that said, I still run firewall software as
a second layer of security in case the hardware gets
hacked.

Good luck,
Marc