Debian packaging (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE recomendations)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Ted Deppner wrote:

> I think a talk on the debian packaging system would be good too.  It's an
> IDE (non graphical of course - perhaps an iDE then).  This would probably
> take a whole session though.
>
> Things like building kernels, taking packages from unstable and building
> them for stable, etc.
>
> Is there any interest in this?

I would like to see that, particularly if it was presented in
stages.  Like, I want to build a "hello world" .deb and what is
involved?  What happens when I decide to use ncurses to print my
message?  What happens if I want to package someone elses program that has
lots of #define configuration macros?  What happens when the version of
ncurses increments?  What happens when my own program version increments?

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 10:04:16AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > well, we could try a talk on linux IDE's.  each talk would be on the
> > short side.  i could do a talk on snavigator (which i've used before)
> > or whatever i decide to try (i'm going to research a few IDE's today).
> >
> > anyone else work with linux IDE's?   we can ask if someone uses an IDE
> > in saclug and do a combined talk for both lugod and saclug.  maybe we
> > can try to poll nblug or roselug for IDE users.

I have used several Windows IDEs, but when I last investigated them on
Linux a couple of years ago, I decided they weren't up to par.  Kylix
looked nice, but I have absolutely no interest in using Delphi.

I have been using Emacs (at a fairly crude level because I don't have
the hang of Lisp) and ddd this year.  I miss context-sensitive
name-completion, but ddd is quite impressive.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing