Re: [vox-tech] Bash script to setup environment variables

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:12:35PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> I'm doing some cross-compilation work so I need to flip environment
> variables on/off in a heartbeat.  I tried to write a script, but scripts
> run on sub-processes so the changes do not take effect on the parent
> process.  Is there a way, without having to type `source script` or `.
> script`, to make environment variables changes take place on the running
> process?

Would putenv(3) work? To quote the manual:

NAME
		 putenv - change or add an environment variable

SYNOPSIS
		 #include <stdlib.h>

		 int putenv(char *string);

DESCRIPTION
		 The  putenv()  function  adds  or  changes the value of environment variables.  The
		 argument string is of the form name=value.  If name does not already exist  in  the
		 environment, then string is added to the environment.  If name does exist, then the
		 value of name in the environment is changed to value.  The  string  pointed  to  by
		 string becomes part of the environment, so altering the string changes the environ­
		 ment.

--
Henry House