[vox-tech] shows "Kernal Panic"

Hi,

I got problem with my linux box running Red Hat 7.1

Whenever I restart this server it shows "Kernal Panic" and stops during the boot up.

I am able to bootup the server using linux rescue mode through linux installation CD and can browse the data files which are still intact.

Now I need to know,

1) Is there a way to recover the data from the server ?

2) Can I upgrade the operating system without losing the data stored on the server? Whenever I try to upgrade the server it displays message the "filesytem not properly unmounted" and stops the installation upgrade process.

Wiaitng  to hear some expert opinion and helpful solutions.

Regards

Jawad [Novice System Admin]