Re: [vox-tech] bypass linux native tcp stack

Re: [vox-tech] bypass linux native tcp stack

Check out the ethertap device in the linux kernel for generation of raw
ethernet frames.

Programs like BasiliskII (Apple Macintosh Emulator) can use the ethertap
device (tap0). This allows a MacOS TCP/IP stack within BasiliskII to write
to the datalink layer and bypass the internal TCP/IP stack used by the
general linux system. Basilisk also ships with "sheep_net" kernel module
you can compile to do something much like what you get with ethertap.

check out netlink support (CONFIG_NETLINK) and CONFIG_ETHERTAP in the
kernel as config options.

Ethertap is degraded as it is being replaced by TAP/TUN. More
Info:
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/networking/ethertap.txt.html

Hope this is what you are looking for.

-ME