Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] I'm Trying to Love Linux...

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] I'm Trying to Love Linux...

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Heh.  All of that is much appreciated, and I do intend to learn LaTeX at
some point.  For now, though, I have been so impressed with WP for
Windows that I went and spent $150 on the Linux version.  Having spent
that money, I would feel really really stupid if I didn't get the
program working.

I contacted Corel Tech Support and was told that there is a patch on the
Corel ftp server to download and run instead of the install script that
comes on the CD.  I ran that, and it claims that WordPerfect was
installed successfully.  However, when I try to start WordPerfect by
typing in the command "wordperfect" at the command line, absolutely
nothing happens.  Not even an error message. I checked the permissions
on the files, and they all seem appropriately set, so I don't quite know
what's going on.

> begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> >
> > Or even better, learn LaTeX.  There's also a GUI front-end
> > for it called LyX that's pretty cool.
>
> woo hoo!  that gets my vote!
>
> > Also AbiWord is worth a look.
>
> agreed.  i'm a happy abiword user.  it has gotten much more stable in recent
> months.  active development here.
>
> > KOffice isn't ready for prime
> > time yet, but bears watching.
>
> besides using lots of libs which may not be on your system.
>
> great advice, rod!
>
> pete

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

AIM:  Buffalo2K

"When you have lost the ability to laugh at yourself, you have lost the
ability to think straight." --Clarence Darrow

"Push the button, Max!"