Re: [vox-tech] Building a computer

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 04:48:40PM -0800, Alexandra Thorn wrote:

> Hi.  I'm a relative newbie to the universe of geekdom, but want to
> jump into things.

Once again, welcome! :)  Nice to see another new face in the club,
and on the lists.  (The lists are really more than half of the club
itself, IMO.  BTW, Henry?  Have I thanked you 1000 times yet for setting
up the mailing list archives and htDig search engine? :) )

> I know I met some of you at the LUGOD meeting with
> the lecture on Mac OSX.  I'm a longtime Mac user myself, but want to
> make the switch to Linux.  First, though, I'm interested in building
> myself a PC on which to install Linux.  Never having done anything like
> this before, I really don't know where to look for hardware, what exactly
> I'll need, or how to decide among whatever options exist.  So, if any
> of you can offer guidance, etc., it would be much appreciated.

... And it appears people have been.  And damn... RAM and HDs are CHEAP.
Must... resist urge... to build... another computer...

> If someone would be willing to guide me through this step-by-step, that
> would be even better.

I wonder how worth it it would be to have some kind of workshop.
It'd have to be something we advertise far in advance, because even with
months of advanced notice, we'd probably only get a dozen people.

It'd be really cool, though...  Anyone else think so?

> As a sidenote (I don't know how much it really matters), I don't have
> a car.

Every now and then someone pops on our discussion list, "vox", and
announces that they're planning on a trip out to Fry's in Sacramento
or Nerd Books (.com) up in Roseville (Fry's is on the way :) ).

Perhaps you could tag along some time?  Or, if you're brave, you could
initiate a trip yourself, with the understanding that you, yourself, would
need a ride.

Anyway, good luck!  And thanks to everyone who's responded.  I'm not
a hardware-oriented person, and hate researching this kind of stuff
(honestly, I /really/ dislike PC architecture :) ), and the thread's
been quite interesting and informative!

(I honestly considered adding a link to the archived thread on the
LUGOD.org's front page...  I might still, if the responses keep up!)

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/