Re: [vox-tech] DevFS: it works! But problems with IOMEGA Zip...

Re: [vox-tech] DevFS: it works! But problems with IOMEGA Zip...

Hey Pete,

I wanted to let you know that I figured out how to get my zip drive
working--it was pretty easy, actually.

Looking at the man page for devfsd, I saw a good example for getting the
good ole cdrom softlink persistent. There is a command called LOOKUP--here
is the example line as I've implemented it in my system's /etc/devfsd.conf
file:

LOOKUP ^cdrom$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink ${mntpnt}/cdroms/cdrom4 $devpath

My CDROM happens to be /dev/cdroms/cdrom4 (the example had cdrom0
instead), but your mileage may vary.  What's cool about this is that as
soon as the path /dev/cdrom is accessed, a softlink magically appears in
the /dev filesystem. All I need to do is type 'ls -l /dev/cdrom'. Cool,
huh?

So, on to my zip drive (first I had to put a bloody disk in the drive :|,
then a scsi entry appeared--D'OH!). So, all I have to do is add a line in
my devfsd.conf file like so:

LOOKUP ^zip$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink \
	${mntpnt}/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part4 $devpath

Once I access /dev/zip (which was soft linked to /dev/sda4 in my old
dev directory), voila! access to my zip drive happens!

Doug

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net