[vox-tech] CD disappeared!

We've got a Debian box here at home which seems to have had a bit of
amnesia regarding the CD drive!

  $ eject
  eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

And, when trying to run, for example, "cdcd" (a command-line CD player tool):

  /dev/cdrom: Device not configured

Nothing has been reconfigured any time lately.  The same audio CD has been
in the drive for weeks, and was working last time we tried it.

Any suggestions