[vox-tech] XFree86 and Radeon Mobility Vid Card

[vox-tech] XFree86 and Radeon Mobility Vid Card

Hi all,

My new Dell laptop was upgraded to an Inspirion 4100 (from a 4000)
without my knowledge. The 4100 has a Radeon Mobility video card (4000
had a Rage Mobility), which is not supported under the version 4.
1.0 (which is the version Slackware 8.0 comes with). I have been
searching the XFree86.org forums and have seen references to patching
a file in the current CVS tree to get XWin to run on this card with
the proper resolution for my laptop screen (1400x1050). I however
cannot find the post that has the patch in it. Does anyone know what
this patch is? Also, has anyone tried this patch to be sure it is
reliable? This laptop is actually a long-term loan as part of a fellowship,
so it isn't technically mine. I'd hate to ruin the screen while
trying to get XWin running.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000