[ted@psyber.com: Re: [vox-tech] WD HDs take X]

: On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:11:46PM -0800, Foo Lim wrote:
: > Ok, WD HDs suck!!  A few weeks ago, I complained about a clicking Western

I agree w/ Foo.
I never bought WD personally, but after seeing two WD hdds failed at my
presense (my friends'), I decided not to buy them.

: > Digital HD, which was replaced by WD.  I put it in a new machine with low
: > usage, and the new one is freaking out also!  It hasn't even been used for
: > more than a few weeks!  I do have it on 24/7, but it should be able to
: > handle it.  My advice: skip WD.

look at the specs. modern hdds're usually expected to last 100 of years.

: Remember when Segate started making 7200 "cheeta" drives, and they were
: failing left and right?  Many of those problems where heat related.

Heat and noise.
I could not turned on my old computer because it was too hot during summer
and it was too noisy during night. My ex-roommate actually complained the
hdd noise who lived downstairs (i was upstairs). Few computers in the lab
was turned off simply because they're noisy. They have seagate 7200rpm scsi.
So I avoid seagate. (I'll avoid them another few years or more).

: That said, I continue to recommend WD for IDE, and Segate for SCSI.  Yes,

I like IBM.
If heat and noise are more important issues, then Fujitsu is recommended.
Maxtor is OK.
Quantum ok, too.
Micropolis... do you guys ever heard of it?

: industry wide there are problems whenever new technology comes out for 3
: to 6 months, and it usually hits only one of the major vendors.  When

Cuz they want to reach the market first.
And they know it's effective. Remember what Intel did (and how financially
successful they are).

: that's happening, you'll hear all sorts of "I'll never buy X again".  Give
: it a year or two and someone else will be in the dog house.

I buy componies who put new revision for higher quality.
I hate those who revise their product to cut the cost (by degrading components
and chips); examples are Creative labs and Netgear.

: I just bought two WD 80gig drives.  One failed within 24 hours.  The other
: is flawless.  (these came from Fry's, so make sure you've got that firmly
: planted in your mind before jumping to conclusions)  I know that WD will
: replace that drive, and will cross ship a new one to me with 48 hours.

Here's the real issue.
Suppse you're running a company, and you want sell more at cheaper price.
Then you need to cut the cost somewhere... One of the quickest way is to
reduce/stop checking the products you ship. Let's the customer figure out
if it's defective or not. If the customer complains, just fix/replace it.
That's cheaper especially when the price of the product is cheaper. It seems
that M$ and DeLL really like this strategy. For M$, it's not a big problem.
Just upload a new service pack (yeh, it's really a nice service, isn't it?).
Dell has a problem here as they deal w/ phisical devices. i.e. cost more.

Anyhow, I hope ppl will change their behavior s.t. pay more for quality.
Avoid cheapo unless the price was cut by technological advance.
Don't support (i.e don't buy from) company who ships low quality products
or even the quality/spec of the product it high, ships w/o quality checking.