[vox-tech] kernel update

in case you haven't heard:

don't use 2.4.11 or 2.4.15.  they both can destroy filesystems under certain
circumstances.

don't use 2.4.13 and 2.4.14.  they have buggy swap daemons.  kswapd
periodically goes nuts.  (it's ok to use the alan cox version of these
kernels since he uses the rik van riel VM as opposed to the andrea
arangelli(sp?) VM).

if you use a radeon, you must use 2.4.10 or higher.  people with VIA chipsets
must also use 2.4.10 or higher, but some agp code for VIA boards was slightly
buggy in 2.4.10.  that doesn't leave too many choices for people with radeons
on motherboards with VIA chipsets.  :)

2.4.16 came out, and so far so good.  the kswapd problem was fixed.  in
addition, it now adds support for ext3.  currently, there is no reliable way
to undelete a file with reiserfs.  there's no "debugfs" type tool for
reiserfs.  and the developers of reiserfs have *openly* stated: "we will
write such a tool if and only if someone pays us to write it".

i seriously doubt that kernel developers like remy card and theodore t'so
will take this attitude.  i'm sure that ext3 tools will be available soon, if
they aren't already available now.  i think i'm switching from reiser to
ext3 soon.  i'm just going to give it a few more weeks...

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org