Re: [vox-tech] WD HDs take X

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:11:46PM -0800, Foo Lim wrote:
> Ok, WD HDs suck!!  A few weeks ago, I complained about a clicking Western
> Digital HD, which was replaced by WD.  I put it in a new machine with low
> usage, and the new one is freaking out also!  It hasn't even been used for
> more than a few weeks!  I do have it on 24/7, but it should be able to
> handle it.  My advice: skip WD.

I'd like to point a few things out...

Back in the good olde days ....   [oops]

Whenever the hard drive industry moves to a new technology, the early
adopters take a beating with many failures.  the 1.6gig/platter step hit
WD really hard a few years ago.  Remeber all those 3, 4.5, 6 gig drive
failures?

This is common...  the 5gig drive size from Maxtor was a lemon too.  Those
drives lost their defect list, essentally adding "new" sectors in the
middle of your data.  A real bitch to recover from.

Remember when Segate started making 7200 "cheeta" drives, and they were
failing left and right?  Many of those problems where heat related.

All of those problems where growing pains from new technologies.  The
entire industry had them, it just struck the early producing vendors
harder.

That said, I continue to recommend WD for IDE, and Segate for SCSI.  Yes,
industry wide there are problems whenever new technology comes out for 3
to 6 months, and it usually hits only one of the major vendors.  When
that's happening, you'll hear all sorts of "I'll never buy X again".  Give
it a year or two and someone else will be in the dog house.

My motto is buy from a vendor you like who has a 3 to 5 year warantee.  By
two drives, and keep a backup.  Be prepared for a problem or two every now
and then.  I have personally had waranteed WD, Segate, and Maxtor drives.

I just bought two WD 80gig drives.  One failed within 24 hours.  The other
is flawless.  (these came from Fry's, so make sure you've got that firmly
planted in your mind before jumping to conclusions)  I know that WD will
replace that drive, and will cross ship a new one to me with 48 hours.

PS  You may have a heat problem...  if the drive is a 7200rpm and is
"warm" (not toasty, not 'hot') to the touch, that's often times too hot.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/