[vox-tech] cd ejection

Hey all,

I'm wondering if I can get some help troubleshooting some cd ejection
problems.  The drive in question is a Pioneer slot-load DVD-ROM, and the
pathology is that it sometimes refuses to eject cds and dvds, even though
they are unmounted and don't appear to be in use.  With cds the behavior
isn't quite consistent as far as I can tell -- sometimes I can put in a cd,
mount it, read it, unmount it, and eject it without problems.  Sometimes I
can push the eject button time after time, and it just ignores me.  With
dvds the behavior is quite consistent.  If I watch a dvd with VideoLAN
client, after I'm done (and all traces of vlc processes appear to be gone),
I can never eject the dvd without first quitting X.

This only happens when I'm in X-Windows, and when it does happen, the only
solution is to quit X; then the drive will eject the disc.  So even though
I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about getting a disc stuck in there,
it's a real drag to have to exit X every time I want to change a cd.  So far
the only thing that occurred to me was to shut off automount, which I did,
to no avail.

One thing that may be helpful is if there is a way to tell which processes
are talking to which devices (as I understand that removable media refuse to
eject when some program thinks it's still using them).  This seems like a
sort of information you must be able to get from Linux, but I don't know how
to get it.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running RedHat 7.1 on an Athlon machine with a Tyan motherboard.

Thanks,
Matt