January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Mobo Question

begin: Gage_006 <fan49@softcom.net> quote
> well the only thing i don't know is what the different cases look like and
> what mobo's can fit into em and stuff like that.

don't worry about the looks.  that's the last thing to worry about.
recall the millenium falcon.  "she doesn't look like much, but she's got it
where it counts".  i was able to hijack every phone switch in western florida
with an apple ][+ that was painted in holstein black and white and had a
bunch of holes drilled in the side because i kept guessing the length of
cable for the NMI card wrong.  that was waaaay before there was ever a
company called gateway.  :)

there are 3 form factors, but you'll probably see only one of them.  get an
"ATX mobo" and an "ATX case" and you'll be fine.  some modern ATX mobos are
wide, so they might be tight in a small case, but should still fit with a
little coaxing.

one last thing you'll want to look at is power requirements.  if you go with
AMD, get an AMD rated power supply (often comes with a case).  don't get
anything less than 300W.  i have an 400W enhance electronics power supply,
and never regretted the 40 bucks i paid for it.

> I really want to build my
> own computer and the only thing i don't know already is mobo and cases.
> This would just be to have a computer in my room again (the last one decided
> to die on me...stupid ibm aptivas)

i have a suspicion it's more complicated than you're thinking, but keep
asking questions -- i'll try to answer as best as i can.  it's a topic with
ALOT of terminology, ALOT of TLA's and ALOT of minor details.  without people
like foo lim henry house and chris lupo, i would've been completely lost when
i did my AMD research.

pete